Saturday, September 20, 2008

Where's my Sunny San Diego?

I woke up today only to see a pretty gloomy sky. One of those really few days that the sun does not shine here in San Diego. Instead of feeling bad about it, I was delighted. It means that I could head on to the beach and not get burnt!

On my way to the beach, I couldn't help but stop by the PETCO ballpark only 2 blocks from my hostel. It is surrounded by lots of high rise condo and hotel meaning you can actually watch the match live from home! I later learn that those building sprung up after the ballpark is build. Its part of the effort to gentrify the town. It really worked as I cannot really spot homeless people around. Just new fashionable loft apartments.
I ended up at the convention center and Gaslamp Quater after wandering aimlessly around town. Took a couple of pics round the place.

Finally headed off to the Coronado Island after a long long delay. Too distracted with the buildings downtown. Haha. The ride on the bus across the bridge was great. Manged to snap some nice pics. I sadly overshot the bus stop at the Coronado del Mar and ended up at the navy base miles away. Argh. Lucky the next bus in the opposite direction took only 10 minutes to come. Else I will kill myself.

The Coronado del Mar hotel is really post looking. Right next to the beach with white soft sands. Finally a beach that reminds me of those in Florida. There is like lots of tourist here. No, I did not ask them to help me with pics. I did all these pics with the help if my tripod, trashcans and a lot of rocks. Lol. Would love to stay in this hotel in the near future when I become a rich bastard. Haha.

I quickly crossed over to the other side of the Island to catch a glimpse of the sunset with the city syline as the background. It was a pretty decent but not marvellous sunset as the clouds has block the ray of sunlight. That means I did not get to see the golden city view. Sigh. Nevertheless, I had a great time chilling around the ferry landing area. Just sat down and enjoy my dinner while waiting for the sun to set.

Took more shots of the night scene of the city before rushing back to downtown. The walk to the bus stop was freaky as I took a small street with no lights at all. The houses along the street have all their lights off. Gosh! It was such a relieve when I finally reached the main street.

Upon reaching downtown, I say this huge concert taking place, some dance party called Monster Massive. Last night they barricaded another area for Beer Festival. This city really party hard man. Apparently Paul Van Dyk is here. But I have no greater regret than skipping the Janet Jackson concert that night. Really regret my dumb decision to pass it. She was performing in San Diego that night. Argh!

I ended up my night with a couple more shots of the city from the Convention Center and a walk around the very crowded and vibrant Gaslamp Quater. Its like a whole street of restaurants and bars with people al geared up to party the night away. Sadly, I did not join in the party as I was no in the mood after a tiring day of exploring. Someday I will come back to party, I promise!

No comments: