Friday, September 19, 2008

The Most Last Minute Getaway Ever

Today I got kick out of the house. Technically, my friend's sis is coming over for the weekend after they got some cheap air ticket deals. Hence, I would need to make space for them to stayover. OMG! I booked all my tickets for the train and hostel at 9pm that night and I will leave on a 6am train the next day. Lucky me it was not a peak season so I still get good rates.

My friend dropped me at the station early morning just before work as LA has really bad public transport. This is like my 1st time taking an Amtrak after all this time in the US. Loved the roomy seats. Definitely better than taking a bus or plane (provided that the journey is not too long though). Did not really get to enjoy the scenery outside as piggy me quickly fell asleep on the train.
Upon reaching San Diego, I was surprised to see a lot of high rise residential apartments. I was expected only office building in the city. The colourful newly build downtown lofts buildings are so pretty! There are still a lot of apartments undergoing construction. Guess that's the cool new accommodation choice here and I totally love it.

The transportation system here is really good as well. Their trolley system that serves almost all the tourist attractions running every 15 minutes, even on weekends! Finally I do not need to wait like hours for transports on weekends. Good job MTS. There is so many transit officers at the stations making me wonder what's the purpose. But still it is good as that keeps the homeless away.

Headed straight to my hostel for check-in at 9 am. A little early but I had to try my luck. Did not wanna carry my luggage around the town. Guess what, I was lucky they got a place. Haha. Quickly wash up and rushed out to explore the city!

First stop was Balboa Park. It has always been on the top of my list when I was planning to visit San Diego a few months back. It is actually a park adjacent to the zoo with lots of museums. I am however, more interested in the architecture of the place rather than its intellectual offerings. Lol. It was such a hassle trying to get pictures of myself and the place. I need somebody to help me with pics. Haha. But you know, I don't give up easily, I went around scouting for potential photographers and when all else fails, I fall back to my timer and tripod. :p

After a tiring walk around the huge huge park, I took the trolley to the Old Town Historic Park. The place is just like in the olden days. Wild western style buildings with lots of exhibits and small free museums. If you're tight on budget, here is the place to go. There is also a lot of people dressed in olden days costume. Took the chance to take photos with them. They are employed by the park so no tipping needed. You can even ask them lots of question regarding the place and things to do. Nice!

Needed some buzz of the city after all those historic monument so I headed off straight to Seaport Village, a shopping place by the bay. Lots of specialty shops there. Interesting concept I must say. I also bumped into my previous roomie from W&T. What a coincidence. Apparently him and some guys and down in San Diego doing the pedicab work.

Since, I do not really have things to buy, I wander off to the Embacadero park for a relaxing stroll as I eat my sandwich. The park offers great view of the Coronado Island and downtown skyscrapers. I simply ended up sitting down and soaking up the atmosphere. The clear sky was a really magnificent setting to view the golden setting sun. The photos below is really inferior to the view of the sunset from the bay. You'll have to come here to see it for yourself.

No comments: